Specialist Courses and PhD Supervision
1. About The Alef Trust
The Alef Trust is a global provider in transformative education and training based in the UK. We offer postgraduate education programmes and community programmes, which promote holistic psychological frameworks and perspectives, nurturing the development of human consciousness and culture. We also undertake research and provide consultancy and leadership for private and public sector organisations, building creative community projects and business engagements. You can learn more about the Alef Trust from our directors Prof. Les Lancaster and Dr. Jessica Bockler here.
In all our work we aim to foster wellbeing and health, cultural self-expression and inclusivity, ecological sustainability, and compassionate service to the world. Whilst being rooted in academic excellence, all our programmes encourage personal and professional growth through multiple ways of knowing, embracing creative, spiritual and somatic practices alongside intellectual study. Students from across all our programmes have the opportunity to participate in a dynamic international learning community, in which mind, body and spirit are equally honoured.
Our educational programmes include postgraduate (Certificate, Diploma, Master’s) as well as Open Learning routes for those who want to study for personal enrichment. We also support students working towards PhDs in topic areas related to consciousness studies and/or transpersonal psychology. We facilitate most of our educational programmes online, using a Collaborative Learning Environment and providing 1-to-1 as well as group tuition.
We are partnered with Liverpool John Moores University which quality assures and validates our Master’s programme. We also collaborate with Professional Development International which delivers and assesses Master’s and PhD programmes in professional development that are quality assured and awarded by UK universities. In addition, we work with the International Transpersonal Association and the Scientific and Medical Network to deliver the best possible learning experience.
2. Details of Appointment
The Alef Trust seeks teaching faculty for our online Master’s in Consciousness, Spirituality and Transpersonal Psychology. We are looking for several lecturers with specialist expertise in topic areas allied to transpersonal psychology and consciousness studies, who bring both theoretical knowledge of their subject area and a deep interest in applied perspectives. The posts we are seeking to fill will contribute to the curriculum development and teaching in two major modules of our Master’s programme:
Spiritual Psychology takes as its central focus psychological issues surrounding spirituality and spiritual practice in the modern world. Ancient as well as contemporary expressions of spirituality are examined through transpersonal and psychological lenses. Students choose two specialist options to explore as part of this module, and we would love to hear from educators and practitioners able to develop option courses in topic areas that would fit within the overarching framework of Spiritual Psychology. Such topics may include, but need not be limited to:
- Buddhist psychology
- Sufi psychology
- Indigenous psychology
- Taoist psychology
- Entheogens and psychedelics
Applied Transformative Psychology
Applied Transformative Psychology focuses on the ways in which transpersonal, or spiritual, perspectives can be applied in practice, considering personal and professional pathways and ethics of transformation. Students study two chosen specialist options, and again we are looking for educators and practitioners able to develop option courses in topic areas that would fit within the overarching framework of Applied Transformative Psychology. Such topics may include, but need not be limited to:
- Transpersonal Psychotherapy and Counselling
- Transformational Leadership
- Collective change and sacred activism
- Trauma recovery
- Death and dying
- Integrative medicine
The topics given above are indicative of the broad interests in our community. We welcome proposals which combine topics and weave in additional subject areas.
Successful candidates will join an international team of academics, educators and practitioners in the field of consciousness studies and transpersonal psychology. You will be involved in teaching online, co-developing the course content and pedagogy, and undertaking student assessment in collaboration with colleagues from across the faculty, as well as associated administrative tasks. We are looking for enthusiastic people who want to help build and develop our growing team and community. We see these roles as evolving and are looking to recruit people who resonate strongly with the vision of the organisation, who would wish to become involved on a longer-term basis, and who are keen to develop and expand their role as our organisation continues to grow.
We are, additionally, seeking to enlarge the pool of academics on whom the Alef Trust can call, who are qualified to supervise PhD level research in areas allied to consciousness studies and transpersonal psychology. This is not a call for a specific appointment. Rather, we are keen to hear from academics who would be interested in joining the supervision teams for PhD students whose research relates to their areas of expertise. Remuneration for PhD supervision is determined according to the supervisory role undertaken.
3. Essential Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge
- PhD in the field of psychology or an allied area related to the subject specialism. Familiarity and personal alignment with the field of transpersonal and consciousness studies.
- Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, and empathic approach to interacting with a diverse, international team and student constituency.
- Ability to work online, independently and proactively with minimal instruction, as well as collaboratively, completing teaching and assessment tasks within given schedules.
- Post holders will be expected to work remotely from their own office. Full office setup with latest computer equipment and software, as well as high-speed internet access, is essential. Excellent computer skills and ability to work with MS Office suite as expected, as well as familiarity and confidence with online learning environments, utilizing forums and webinar software.
4. Core Tasks and Responsibilities – Specialist Courses
Leadership of MSc ‘option’ course focusing on subject specialism, including:
- Course curriculum development
- Design and update of course site content in the Collaborative Learning Environment
- Design and delivery of course webinars and forums
- Grading of student assessments
- Attendance of induction, faculty meetings and relevant training
5. Remuneration & Work Arrangements
Hours: This is a part-time opportunity, delivering 10-credit courses (2.5 US credits/5 ECTS credits) which run from late February to May each year, followed by student assessment in June. Contact time: Approx. 30 hours.
Contract Type: Fixed-term freelance commission, renewed on a yearly basis.
Fee: 1,500 – 3,000 Pound Sterling per 10-credit course (dependent on class size)
Start date: January 2020
This is a freelance commission. The post holder(s) will be expected to take responsibility for tax liability according to the laws of the country of residence. The appointment is offered for 1 year in the first instance with potential of further extension.
6. How To Apply
Applications should be made via email and should include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae/ Résumé.
- A course proposal (up to 3 pages), outlining your approach to online teaching and what topic area(s) you could teach. Please relate your proposals to the overarching modules we have outlined in section 2. Also tell us why you wish to join the Alef Trust and what makes you a suitable candidate. Please be sure to address all the skills and knowledge required for this post, as we have outlined them in section 3 of this document.
- A recent professional letter of recommendation
Applications open immediately and screening will continue until the positions are filled. A first round of interviews is likely to be held in week beginning 18th November 2019.
Please send your application by email to:
Nick Theo, Programme Manager: [email protected]