CONSCIOUS COMMUNITY PROJECT
We live in times of great societal disruption and turmoil, and many of us recognise that something radically new wants to be born. This new emergence requires us not only to work on ourselves (through spiritual and other practices), but also to be of service in the outer, collective spheres. Together, we need to re-envision our ways of being, so that humanity may find greater peace and may thrive in relationship with the earth and her diverse ecosystems.
The Alef Trust has been successful in securing funding from a charitable foundation, enabling us to roll out a 2-year initiative which we are calling the Conscious Community Project (CCP). The initiative aims to build a community of change-makers who nurture individual and systemic transformation around the world. As part of the initiative we are planning to:
- Host in-person events in different locations around the world to deepen embodied transformational learning, enable professional networking, and seed the formation of change hubs.
- Set up a global research network, by providing project grants to members of our learning community and by initiating an overarching research framework, galvanizing investigation of integrative / transpersonal approaches to societal challenges, building the evidence base for such approaches.
- Develop our online infrastructure to allow continued dialogue between members of our community, as well as raising wider public awareness of our work.
- Generate public dialogue and advocacy for change, raising wider public awareness of our community’s research and projects, and their value.
A conscious community is not simply one in which all members contribute to the whole. For us, the term ‘conscious’ implies not only a reflective sense of awareness but also a commitment to enhancing professional practice through integrative, whole-person approaches which place the human being in the wider spheres of local, global, and ecological systems. Learning and research are not simply intellectual, but embodied and integrative processes. In the case of our aspirations to create a ‘conscious community’, learning is never complete without realising the fundamental human quest to contribute to positive change, serving the wellbeing of individuals and the whole.
Our Global Research Approach
In this project we would like to empower members of our community to devise and lead transformational projects around the world, thereby cultivating the soil for societal and systemic evolution. Local projects initiated by our community members may serve a range of critical contexts and causes. For the purpose of our grant-giving endeavour we focus on the following, which we have identified as being of critical priority:
- Health and wellbeing
- Nature, sustainability, climate crisis
- Community building & conflict resolution
We have now launched the first round of funding to support projects by Alef Trust students, alumni and staff. The projects we want to support need to embrace a transpersonal or integral framework. By this we mean that projects need to resonate with the following guiding principles:
- Projects explore expanded ways of knowing, engaging in contemplative, creative, and embodied forms of practice which enable all involved to shift from egoic identification to a more expansive sense of self, tapping embodied intuition and wisdom.
- Projects are holistic, honouring the whole person and the wider living context of each individual. Participants are empowered to connect to a deeper sense of life purpose.
- Projects adhere to high ethical standards, safe-guarding participants and facilitators and empowering all by creating spaces in which compassion and empathy can flourish.
- Projects are inclusive and participatory: Participants are enabled to co-create and co-evaluate the project.
- Project facilitators balance inner work and outer application, embodying the practices and vision they espouse, and committing to regular reflective practice as part of the project.
Applications open on 1 May 2020 and close on 1 June 2020. The grant strand of the Conscious Community Project is open to Alef Trust students, staff, open learners and alumni of our postgraduate programmes, including antecedent programme variants.
If you’d like receive our Alef Trust Newsletter with monthly updates on events, courses, and remain connected to our global network: