Open Learning Course
Your Course Leader
Dr. Hennie Geldenhuys is a medical doctor; clinical researcher and academic; certified Transpersonal (TC), Authentic Self-Empowerment (ASE) and Open Awareness (OA) coach; and hypnotherapist.
He has a passion for integrating his experience in clinical medicine with the applied transpersonal perspective to coaching and psychology. Hennie works with individual clients, conducts training workshops, and enjoys sharing and learning through teaching and mentoring.
He lives in the Western Cape, South Africa, nestled amongst the mountains, with his family, cats and dogs.
Health, disease and wellness are ingrained into our model of existence. We are physical beings, but we are also spiritual beings, and interconnected beings. No aspect of medicine or health is only the one or the other. Integrating different aspects of our existence into applied models of health and disease is what this course is about.
This course covers theories and models, but more importantly focuses on applications for healthcare providers, coaches, therapists, counsellors, spiritual guides, or any of the range of practitioners who work with or are interested in the mind-body-spirit paradigm, and what this means in practice. With an emphasis on personal engagement and experiential learning, and through case scenarios, discussions, activities and reading, the course journeys through integrative health from a transpersonal perspective.
Topics explored include:
- Models and perspectives on mind-body-spirit integration
- Psychosomatic medicine from a transpersonal perspective, including approaches to the so-called “psychosomatic disorders”
- The dynamics between the psyche, the somatic, and medicine, including an introduction to psychoneuroimmunology, psychopharmacology and the placebo/nocebo effect
- Applications of transpersonal coaching to health, disease and wellness, including an integrated wellness directed lifestyle, breaking bad habits and addictions and cultivating resourceful habits, integrated management of chronic disease and impairments, and management of pain and physical discomfort
- Exploring purpose, meaning and integration of physical pain, physical symptoms and signs, suffering and dying
- The relationship between modern medical psychiatry, psychology, and the transpersonal
In this course you’ll get an opportunity to:
There are no formal entry requirements to join this course. Come and study purely for personal interest and enrichment … and get the same level access as our postgraduate students who will be studying alongside you!
Length of study: 10 weeks.
Before each course begins you will be provided with a Course Outline which will list the reading materials, time-lines, and any activities required as part of the course. This course features 2 discussion forums, experiential activities and several live webinars.
In addition to extensive course materials you’ll receive 1-to-1 tuition in our unique collaborative learning environment.
Start date: February 2020
This course runs for 10 weeks and starts in February of each year. You can study at your own pace and partake in the webinars and forums as much as you like.
If you would like to enrol, or request more information on our ‘Integrative Medicine’ course then simply complete the form below and a member of our team will contact you. We offer a unique transformational learning experience and will be here to guide you through every step of your journey with Alef Trust.